Dysmenorrhoea (Period Pain)
Dysmennorhoea (aka period pain) is a common condition that affects women of reproductive age who are menstruating. While the condition is common, it is NOT normal to experience writhing pain around the time of your period. Unfortunately, due to the large number of women that this condition affects, it has been granted it the status of being “normal” which is simply not the case.
What are some of the common patterns of pain?
- Lower abdominal pain and cramping
- Low back pain
- Pain can scale from a dull ache, to sharp, shooting, or stabbing pain
- Pain can occur before, during, or even after menstruation
- Is often accompanied by clots
- Sometimes accompanied by nausea and vomiting, headaches, constipation or diarrhoea
When the condition is present from the first menstruation with no known cause, this is termed primary dysmenorrhoea. Other conditions associated with painful periods include endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids, and in these cases the pain is classified as secondary dysmenorrhoea.
At Bloom Chinese Medicine, we are all about supporting our patients to feel their very best, this includes during their period! No woman needs to have to suffer through their period every month.
What can I do about my period pain?
- Get acupuncture!! We will work with regulating your cycle and allowing Qi and Blood to flow freely.
- Gentle warmth with heat bags or hot water bottle can be extra soothing (careful though – not too hot, as this can stimulate too much blood flow!).
- Be kind to yourself, and do something you love. Get out in nature, or treat yourself to a facial.
- Gentle exercise. A nice gentle walk can help move any stagnation that is present – but be careful not to over-do it, unless this works for you.
- Eat nice warm, nourishing foods. Avoid anything cold as this can lead to more constriction and pain.
About the Author:
Dr. Emily (Emmy) Cox (BHSc.Acu) joined the Bloom Chinese Medicine team in early 2019. Emily's passions in clinic lie in the areas of gynaecology, natural conception, fertility management, IVF support, pre and post-partum care, autoimmune disease management, and more. She is highly trained in these areas and is comprehensively trained in the highly effective Fertile Life Method.Over time Emmy has developed an interest in helping people to reach their full health potential, and offers a gentle style of treatment that focuses on the individual’s health goals. Learn more about Emily here.
Do you have any requests or suggestions? Please let us know!
Acupuncture with Grace is an integrative Chinese medicine and acupuncture clinic committed to providing the best outcomes for our patients, and empowering them along their journey to optimal fertility and wellness. Centrally located in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast, we have visitors from local suburbs and all over Queensland. Proudly servicing Buddina, Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Alexandra Headland, Buderim, Kawana, Minyama, Parrearra, Warana, Birtinya, Bokarina, Wurtulla, Little Mountain, Caloundra, Aroona, Bells Creek, Meridian Plains, Palmview, Sippy Downs, Mountain Creek, Kuluin, Kunda Park, Diddillibah, Twin Waters, Pacific Paradise, Mudjimba, Marcoola, Bli Bli, Coolum, Yaroomba, Yandina, Ninderry, Valdora, Peregian Springs, Peregian Beach, Doonan, Noosaville, Noosa, Noosaville, Tewantin, Doonan, and Nambour.